Top 5 tips for successful technique in breaststroke
Posted on June 24 2015
There are so many different swimming strokes that a swimmer should learn. Breaststroke is just one of the many. It is a very important one, and there are some tips that can help you to swim this stroke much more successfully. There are some things that you will have to remember to focus on first: the kick, the head, the underwater phase, and finally, the hands/arms coordination. These 5 tips will be separated into each section.
1 – Tips for the Kick
The kick is just one of the many things that you need to be aware of when you are trying to be more successful in breaststroke. There are some tips that can help you to improve your kick. These tips include the following:
- Bring your heels up toward your bottom and don’t let the heels come out of water.
- Try not to let your thigh drop below you because this causes resistance.
- Use your calf muscle to push forward.
- When you kick, kick back and then down. You should also squeeze in an upwards motion.
These are the tips you need for your kick.
2 – Tips for the Head
The head is another focus area when you are trying to improve your breaststroke. There are some tips that can help you to improve your head position. These tips are the following:
- Angle your head so you look in front of you and below you.
- Pretend you have a tennis ball by your chest and chin throughout the whole swim.
These are the tips that can help with your head positioning for the breaststroke.
3 – Tips for Underwater Phase
The underwater phase is another part of the breaststroke. There are some tips that can help you with improving this part of the breaststroke too. These tips are:
- Take your time.
- Keep streamlining but go from a single movement to another movement.
- Keep long and tight shaping.
These tips can help you with improving your breaststroke.
4 – Tips for the Hands/ Arms Coordination
Your hand and arm movements are an essential part of a successful breaststroke. There are some tips that can help you to have proper hand and arm movements. These tips are:
- Keep tension in the elbows at the beginning
- Further on, keep the hands at a shallow position and keep your elbows straight.
- When pulling in, lead with the elbows and slam them to the ribs.
These tips can help with your hands and arm placements.
5 – Tips for Timing
Timing is the last important part of a successful breaststroke. There are some tips that can help with proper timing. These tips are:
- Work everything together.
- When hitting the ribs, keep the feel up too.
These are the tips that can help you to pull everything together with proper timing. Now you know the tips that can help you to have a much more successful breaststroke.